$244m for new schools and classrooms2015
In today’s pre-Budget speech Prime Minister John Key said the Government has allocated $244 million for new schools and classrooms.
It will provide for seven new schools to be built: Rototuna Senior High School in Hamilton, a primary school in Rolleston, and two new primary schools in Auckland. The first is set to open in 2017. The new schools will provide spaces for nearly 4000 additional students.
Money has also been allocated to expand facilities and classrooms at four existing schools: Auckland’s Hingaia Peninsula School, Queenstown’s Shotover Primary, and Papamoa’s Golden Sands School and Papamoa College.
The Prime Minister said that funding will also cover an additional 241 classrooms at other schools – the majority in Auckland.
You might also like to read:
- Schools pleased to see an end to deciles – but funding boost still needed
- Teachers welcome Labour’s $4m plan for education
- Teacher-led Innovation Fund projects announced
- Early childhood teachers launch pay equity claim
- Industry training gets a welcome funding boost
- Tertiary education: what needs to change?